Thursday, February 2, 2012

Let them eat cake!

So on the heels of my post about our adorable cake topper, I guess I should next discuss the actual cake that we will be having. Makes sense right?

I knew that I wanted a simpler cake....while I love looking at gorgeous elaborate cake designs, sometimes I think they are too pretty to eat.
See what I mean? Who would want to cut into and destroy this gorgeous cake?? / Image via hottestbirthday.info
The look that I think we were going for, is something more like these cakes



All images via theknot.com

I think that the third one is my favorite (I mean, you do know about my obsession with anchors!) but we loved the simplicity of the first two as well, so we figured that we would show these to the baker and see if they could put something together for us. And they did!

We met with Cake for Occasions on the only snowy Saturday we've had this winter (of course) but it was so worth the trek out in the snowy weather. This bakery is the only one I ever even thought of considering. They are very well-known around here as having the best cake, so I was excited to schedule our tasting!

She let us try several samples too, and by samples I mean full pieces of cake. It was unbelievable. Oh, it was also 10am too, so cake turned out to be our breakfast.

Doesn't it all look so yummy??
And of course, the "after" shot,

Not sure about the blurriness, but you get the point! :)
In the end the three flavors we ended up choosing were 1) vanilla cake soaked in Grand Marnier with fresh strawberry and buttercream frosting 2) the traditional red velvet with cream cheese buttercream frosting and 3) chocolate cake dusted with espresso and filled with ganache and mocha buttercream frosting. My mouth is seriously watering just thinking about how yummy these cakes are going to be!!

We also opted to have the cake plated and set up as a station so that our guests will be able to choose their own flavor. Although, I'm not sure how anyone is going to be able to choose. Someone please remind me to eat the cake that day ok??

So there you have it ..... probably the easiest wedding decision we've made to date! How did your cake tasting go? Anyone else going the route with multiple flavors?

No comments:

Post a Comment