Friday, December 16, 2011

The backstory: Choosing a Photographer

In my last post, I hinted at having booked a photographer who later backed out on us....here is our story.

Way back in the day, before I even met Keith, I used to drool over wedding photography. There was something so amazing to me about the talents these people had and their ability to capture the most perfect, beautiful moments of a couple's wedding day.

Through Jen, my MOH, I was introduced to the work of her sister-in-law, who is an amazing photographer. I immediately fell in love with her work. I used to stalk her Facebook page and blog, and would get so excited whenever she posted a new wedding! These are just a few of her images that I love so much.







All photos courtesy of yvonnelebrunphotography.com

As soon as I got engaged, the very first vendor I called was Yvonne. Out of all the photographers I could have, she was the one I wanted. Even though she was living in Southern California at the time, I hoped she would be willing to travel back East for our wedding. As luck would have it, she agreed to travel and gave me a really awesome deal. Score for having friends (or friends of friends!) in the wedding business! And so, just like that, within one week of getting engaged, I had my first vendor.

But as you know, Yvonne is no longer our photographer.  :( About three months after we booked her (it was rather informal, we hadn't yet signed a contract or given her a deposit), she called me and told me that due to her husband's job (he is in the Marines) they were given orders that they would be relocating in the summer of 2012. Since she didn't know when exactly or where, she felt it was too risky to assume that she could be in Boston on July 14. Sadly, after some tears, we agreed it was best to part ways.

After a couple days of looking and interviewing other photographers, we decided to book Amber with Forever Candid. Amber had done our engagement session and since she was someone we knew and felt comfortable with, we knew this was the best choice.

It definitely took some time getting used to the idea that we were changing photographers. At this point, I had already booked everything else, so it was kind of a weird, last minute change for me. Part of me is still sad that Yvonne isn't going to be a part of our day, but I know that we are in great hands, and there is no one I trust more than Amber!

Did you have any vendors you knew you wanted even before you were engaged? Did you have any vendors back out on you?

No comments:

Post a Comment