Monday, December 12, 2011

Finding a Venue: Part 2

So I realized I left you hanging after my last post, so continuing on....

I left off with my putting a hold on Bass Rocks Golf Club without my own fiancĂ© having seen it. Well, maybe I was jumping the gun just a little bit because.....he hated the space! Ok, maybe hate is a strong word, but he disliked the L-shaped dining room. He felt that some of our friends and family would get squished in a corner somewhere. He also felt that our guest list was just too large to fit into their space. Sadly, I had to agree that he was right. It broke my heart to say 'no' to this place, because it was otherwise.so.perfect.

Moving on. We really weren't left with many waterfront options in our area, with our desired month, nevermind date, and in our budget. We slowly were beginning to realize that we would have to be willing to compromise on our criteria. Either the waterfront or the golf course had to go.

The next place we looked at, was Andover Country Club. Andover is about 45 minutes north of Boston, and not anywhere near the water. But it was a private (ie, expensive and well-maintained) golf course. We had attended a wedding here the previous summer and thought it was a beautiful location.


View of golf course from the ballroom. Image courtesy of andovercountryclub.com
Main Ballroom, Image courtesy of andovercountryclub.com

marriage ceremony trees outdoor sunlight photo
The outdoor ceremony space, image courtesy of Deborah Zoe photography


I had a few reservations about this location, mainly because they allowed up to three events at the same time. And since we were getting married in prime wedding season, there was a very good chance there would be two other weddings going on at the same time. However, the wedding coordinator assured us that we would have our own staff and that they had three separate kitchens so none of the other events would "run" into ours. Also, the main ballroom that we were looking at, had it's own private dressing room and restrooms, so we would only ever see another wedding if we were all outside taking photos at the same time. Their prices were also very reasonable, so we considered ourselves lucky to get 2 out of our 3 criteria. 

We put a 7-day hold on the room for June 16, 2012 and went home to think about it. I had a hard time letting go of the fact that it wasn't on the water, but I decided this was something I would just have to sacrifice. My mind was already running with other ways I could incorporate my colors. So we decided to go for it and sent in our deposit check a few days later! We had finally chosen a venue!

....or so I thought. Stay tuned! 

No comments:

Post a Comment